Friday, November 2, 2012

Hurricane Sandy

I am officially a Jersey Shore girl.  I grew up there and have lived in NJ a majority of my life, up until moving to NYC a year ago.  To say this past week is surreal + devastating to witness is a serious understatement. In my almost 30 years here, I have never experienced weather like the area did on Monday.  Luckily, I have only been inconvenienced in Queens - minus the subways being down + work still without power, my parents are unscathed, my electricity never went out, there was no damage to my car and I have been able to work from home in somewhat warmth. 

Obviously, not everyone else is so lucky.  Some people have lost everything that they have... houses + possessions swept to sea, town cut off from rescuers, loved ones gone... it has definitely put a lot of things in perspective for me.  I am doing what I can locally to help until I can get back home and if you are able to, you should too.  If you could spare $10, text REDCROSS to 90999 (or visit RedCross.org).

If you are in the NYC area, here's other ways you can help:

* The Brooklyn Kitchen is collecting supplies, food + clothing for The Rockaways
* Feeding America
* Salvation Army
* Blood Donation in NY




No comments:

Post a Comment