Recipe [honestly not certain where I got this from originally, possibly Food Network]
1 package white mushrooms 
1 tbsp olive oil
3 tbsp butter
1/2 onion [I prefer red] finely chopped
1 or 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
1 1/2 cups plain bread crumbs
Salt + pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Clean mushrooms under cold water or using a damp cloth. Using a grapefruit spoon, remove stems, creating a nice pocket in the mushroom. Chop stems + keep to the side.
- Heat oil + butter in a large skillet over MED heat. Add onions + cook about 1 minute.
- Stir in chopped mushroom stems + cook for 2 minutes/until soft.
- Stir in garlic, toss + cook for 1 minute.
- Turn off heat. Add breadcrumbs 1/4 cup at a time, adding enough that the mixture remains moist.
- Season with a dash of cayenne, salt + pepper.
- When mixture cools, stuff mushroom caps. I like to stuff with a spoon + then go back with clean hands and create a nice dome affect.
- Place caps on a baking sheet + drizzle with 2 tbsp of melted butter [this is more of an eye game]. I create an "X" with the butter so it's evenly spread.
- Bake 12-15 minutes until the caps are heated through. Serve immediately, or if taking to another kitchen, you can either wait to cook at your destination or re-heat for 5 minutes there.
photos: Robin West