Wednesday, March 6, 2013

{a look back} Smile Jamaica Concert

As with clothes, food, friends + everything else, I find myself going through cycles of the kind of music I listen to depending on where I am in life.  It's been a long time, but I find myself listening to the reggae + dancehall stations more at work for a little extra motivation instead of the calm sounds of Radiohead.  With that, I have planned a girl's night back in Jersey this Friday solely to dance with my favorite Reggae cover band play + I am currently watching Marley from Netflix.  

Where am I going with this?  Back in 2008 I was working as an Editor at Jamrock Magazine + found myself front row at the 2nd Smile Jamaica Concert in Jamaica.  This concert was a pivotal time for me behind the camera + was the night that I took my favorite pictures of all time - the photo of Ziggy Marley performing solo.  Something about it speaks volumes to me + embodies his father in my eyes - definitely one of those lucky shots.  And why is it that I always forget how lucky I was at that moment to be a few feet away from the Marley brothers performing together, keeping me intranced until the sun started rising again??

Anyway, here is a collection of some of those  photos captured among the love + intoxicating air that evening that I haven't shared since then - Bunny Wailer, John Legend, Rihanna, Ziggy, Damian, Stephen, Ky-Mani - I need to allow myself to celebrate these moments more.



 photos: Robin West for Jamrock Magazine

No comments:

Post a Comment