Thursday, December 13, 2012

{in my kitchen} potato latkes

Ok, so the first time I tried making latkes last year I failed miserably.  I don't remember exactly what went wrong [probably didn't get enough water out of the potato?], but they just weren't 'right'.  I mean, my dad ate them, but as I told him, he'd eat anything.  I figured there's not time like the present and since it is Hanukkah after all, I decided to try a different type of pancake in my life other than Bisquick.  I haven't had them in awhile so it's hard to perfect the taste, but I am happy to say there were sooo edible.



I found this recipe + just doubled it [+ tweaked slightly] it as I was going to bring in the goods to work if I was successful.
  • 2/3 cup of potatoes, grated
  • 1/4-1/2 onion, finely diced
  • 2 tbsps all-purpose flour
  • 1 egg yolk
  • Salt + freshly ground pepper
  • Vegetable oil
  • Olive oil
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
Add some olive oil + onion to saucepan + cook until golden brown.  Season with a pinch of salt + pepper and put to the side.

After grating the potatoes, you want to get out as much of the water as possible. Whether you wring it out in a towel, or wring out small amounts in a paper towel, wring away.  Put in a bowl and fold in the flower, onions and salt + pepper.  Add in the yolk, mix until evenly combine + then add parsley.

Drizzle vegetable oil to your pan, and once hot, add a spoonful [choose the amount you prefer] of the potato mixture to the pan + flatten with a spatula.  Cook 2-3 minutes/until golden brown [I always cook a little extra when dealing with a mixture that involves egg].  Flip + repeat.  Remove from heat + place on paper towels to cool.

Top with your choice of goodies - apple sauce for dessert, sour cream for a savory snack, or smoked salmon for a perfect breakfast.

Mazel!


photos: Robin West

No comments:

Post a Comment